A graduate of Business Studies with Languages and CELTA and Trinity Dip Tesol qualified EAP/ESP and ESOL teacher with eight years` teaching experience at universities, businesses and community centres in Germany, Switzerland and Scotland. Teacher of EAP, ESP - English for Business, IELTS preparation courses and ESOL for asylum seekers.
I am an imaginative teacher with a high level of cultural awareness. I facilitate a student led learning environment and am keen to develop further skills in identifying the learning styles of students and in syllabus design. I like to source rich current authentic materials and continually seek ways to improve my role as a teaching professional.
Teaching and Communication
- EAP/ESP teacher for academic/language courses at INTO, Glasgow Caledonian Uni.
- EAP all year round pre-sessional courses – Glasgow University and GIC.
- UMS Speaking examiner - Cambridge ESOL
- ESOL tutor for African asylum seekers (Karibu) funded through the WEA, Glasgow.
- ESP tutor for Summer school (Bees) - Glasgow University.
- ESP tutor for in company tailored business courses - Atlas Business Language, Zürich.
- EAP Tutor in English for Economics degree programme at Leibnitz University, Hannover.
- Single and private group EFL tuition in Hannover and Zürich for Cambridge exams.
- Freelance editor/proof-reader for Innovista Advertising, Hannover.
- Writer, German to English translator and editor for Swiss International School, Zürich.
- Press/PR consultant and writer for independent holiday company, Dunfermline.
|University of Cambridge UMS speaking examiner||2012|
|LTCLDip TESOL, Trinity College London||2011|
|Goethe Institute Certificate C1- ZMP German exam||2007|
|Distance learning course (London) in Effective copywriting||2003|
|Courses obtained through Society of Freelance Proofreaders and Copyeditors||1998|
|Honours Diploma in Freelance Feature writing||1996|
|BA Business Studies, Napier University||1993/94|
|HND Business Studies with French and Spanish||1986/89|
INTO Scotland in Partnership with GCU – Sept 2010 to present
EAP/ESP teacher and course tutor (part time)
- EAP teacher and English for Business teacher on academic and language programs. Tutor for Graduate Diploma Business course when numbers allow. This intensive 7 month course raises students’ English level from around 4.5 to IELTS equivalent 6 plus. A challenging and rewarding role which encompasses all aspects of my business degree. Parallel work with content lecturers.
- EAP teacher on Foundation Business with direct entry to year two at university.
- EAP tutor for year round pre-sessional 10 week programs.
- Provision of formative and summative evaluations and design of assessment tasks as required. Regular tutorials and on-going syllabus development.
- Administrative and record keeping tasks associated with teaching and assessment.
University of Glasgow, Language Centre – Dec 2011-12
EAP tutor (part time)
- Cover tutor for year round pre-sessional classes..
Glasgow International College – Jan – April 2012
EAP tutor (part time)
- IELTS preparation and year round foundation
Internet Marketing Scotland, Glasgow – May 2009 - present
Freelance web writer and SEO writer (part time)
Workers’ Education Association, Glasgow – Nov 2009 – May 2011
ESOL (part time)
- Small group tuition of elementary level African refugees. This challenging teaching environment requires an imaginative use of teaching resources, an in-depth and sensitive recognition of students` needs and learning styles and a flexible approach to teaching.
University of Glasgow, Language Centre – 2009 – 2010
- Tutor for IELTS level 4 classes as training for Dip Tesol. Occasional supply tutor.
- ESP tutor on Business English course for intermediate and advanced level French summer school students. A combination of skills and language classes with afternoon educational visits.
ESP tutor for Pre-Sessional SIS workshops
- Tutor to provide grammar guidance and support for IELTS students.
Atlas Business Language, Zürich – 04/2007 – 12/2008
Business ESP tutor, Mercedes Benz and Sunrise Communications
- Design and teaching of tailor made ESP Business English courses to Middle Management at European level B2 to C1.
- Course designed to meet requirements of elementary to intermediate level. Main focus on business lexis and oral presentation skills with specific work on word and sentence stress.
- The course was designed with a variety of teaching materials to incorporate multiple learning styles.
Applied Languages Centre, Leibnitz University, Hannover – 2004 – 2006
EAP teacher for English for Economics CLIL Programme.
- Design, teaching and final assessment of the English language section of the Economics degree curriculum. Advanced level class (C2). Principal aim to expose the students to a stimulating range of learning material in order for them to improve their productive/receptive skills and language in a business situation with increased confidence.
- Core focus on the 4 skills areas with prominent use of internet for authentic materials.
- Input sessions with lexical activities and language study and post task small group discussions and presentations.
- Sensitive use of resources to suit different learning styles and cultures.
- End of semester exam marking.
- Occasional CLIL tutor at Dept of Horticulture, Leibnitz University, Hannover.
Innovista Advertising, Hannover – 2005 - 2010
Freelance editor and proofreader
- Editor and proofreader of exhibition flyers and new product information for Konica Minolta. Ad hoc editing, proofreading and translation from German to English.
Private Business English tutor, Hannover
- Private group tutoring with a focus on specialist subjects such as finance and tourism.
English Shop, Cologne, Germany – 2002/04
- Preparatory design and writing of the outlet`s first on-line shopping web site.
- Writing of retail direct marketing literature and business proposals.
Rhine Magazine, Cologne, Germany – 2004
- Features writer for monthly English Business/Tourist magazine for Cologne/Bonn/Düsseldorf.
Canvas Holidays Ltd, Dunfermline – 2000 - 2002
- UK’s 2nd largest operator of European self drive camping and mobile home holidays.
Press and PR consultant – 2002
- Direct report to MD and provision of all Company press and PR requirements
- Additional provision of press and PR material to Irish media.
Copywriter/Editor – 2001 - 2002
- Writing of main holiday brochure plus editing, design and typesetting of over 50 outdoor pursuit guides for Canvas Holiday customers in Europe.
Catchline PR and Editions Ltd - 1999 – 2000
- Features Writer and Consultant Editor for a variety of public and private sector in house magazines.
Special Publications, Oban Times Ltd, Scotland – 1996 - 1999
Advertising Executive/Marketing Planner
- Lead role in re-launch of monthly UK Fisheries magazine- circulation 40,000.
Editor, Scottish Fish Farmer Magazine
- Accountable for whole magazine life cycle including desk and field news reporting, feature writing and preparatory design of 24 page monthly magazine.